Sunday, October 9, 2011

Quilt #004

I gave this quilt the name "Under The Oaks" because many of the fabric designs are oak leaves, and because I miss the oaks of my childhood. The pattern however, was called "Friendship Quarters" and published by American Legacy Quilts. It measures 56"x 44 1/2". I started it in October 2000 and finished it three years later. I had some struggles with all of those half square triangles. It hangs above our fireplace.
The pattern is fat quarter friendly so when I purchased it at a quilt show, I also purchased a grouped set of eight FQs (at least one is a Moda) that were in a colorway I liked, they became the friendship stars and block corners. To that, I added the background fabric, called 'Moss' and the binding fabric which is a Kona Bay fabric. The top had actually been finished since March 2002, but by then I was finding it hard to find the right shade of brown I wanted for the binding. For the backing (not photographed) I used golden-toned "Fossil Fern" (Impressions by P.B. Campbell & J.L. Jack for Benartex). It was entered in our local guild quilt show in 2003 but alas, did not garner any awards. This is still one of my favorite quilts. It gets laundered on occasion too...about once per year. It's coloring doesn't fit well with Christmas colors, so it comes down to be replaced temporarily at that time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...