Thursday, December 29, 2011

Quilt #028, #029, #030 Mililtary quilts

#028: Some of us ladies in my church fellowship group decided to make some lap quilts for the military members who were either in our group or the family member of someone in our group. This is one I did the piecing on and others helped with the other elements of the project. The pattern for this project came from American Patchwork & Quilting, August 2005. I really liked the adaptation of the skinny 'rail' used in this rail fence pattern. I could make this one again. These military quilts were also tied rather than quilted otherwise. We needed/wanted to finish the project quickly and give them all out at the same time. Some were mailed and a number of them were displayed and handed out during our group's Sunday morning meeting.




#029: This little number, is high on my I will do it again list. I love Log Cabin patterns and this one in patriotic colors is very striking. And did you notice that cute little star that looks like an X at the four corners of the center block? I found this pattern in American Patchwork & Quilting, June 2003 . Very scrappy of reds, whites and blues from my stash. This photo is only of the top as the other 'many hands' finished it while I was away on vacation and I didn't get to photograph the finished quilt.
#030: This one went to my own nephew who is in the Air Force. He's been deployed to the Middle East, I believe until Spring. He and his wife are expecting their second child in mid-April.

I designed it myself with some simple blocks and using some old fabrics from my stash that I picked up from somewhere or was given. Of the three, it's not my favorite; maybe it's the fabric selections...they don't scream patriotic red, white and blue even though they are shades of red, white and blue. The photo makes the red look, well, more red than it truly was. As to who got which quilt, I had no part in that selection, and again, this was worked on by many others as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...