I don't know why this first picture loaded sideways - somewhere between my computer and Blogger, it just did it on its own! No matter, it still shows the blocks of Step 5 with the first 'wing' added.
Here, I'm adding the second wing. I started out using a tool I have to mark the diagonal line, which really just gives a crease in the piece of fabric, but tired of that. I then tried using a pencil, and it just doesn't show up well enough with the lighting I have. I've even tried that tool, I believe called the Angler and didn't like having that on my machine. and many years ago I'd read - somewhere - of marking my machine in order to get the sewn line right from point A to point B. So I've had that 1/4" orange tape affixed to my machine for quite awhile, and use it by putting the point of my square, where I want to start my stitch, directly where the needle will fall. I then line up the bottom point along the edge that corresponds to the needle line and as I sew, my eye doesn't follow the needle, but rather the bottom point which is kept aligned with that orange tape. Perfect line, giving perfect placement.
And here are some of my finished Step 5 blocks. Nearly all came out needing little or no extra trimming using this method, and I didn't spend time doing a marking chore that to me, is a chore.
Linking up to Easy Street at Quiltville.