Friday, January 31, 2014

Travel Planning

It's been eight days since my mom was admitted to the hospital, and seven days since her surgery.  

I've had many conversations with my dad, and several brief ones with my mom, one of which was very disconcerting just this evening, and I was still not feeling at all confident that they don't need 'help' in some way, shape or form.  With that, I grabbed the bull by the horns tonight by firmly telling my mom that I needed to find out what was going on.  I'm more assertive in this arena than she is. 

I spoke with her nurse on duty at the time, and she answered some of my questions, and then she had the doctor call me directly for answers she wasn't at liberty to share.  I then called my dad back and let him know and we pretty much decided it couldn't hurt for me to travel north.

The emotions in doing so are a mixed bag due to other family issues but I'll cross those bridges as I get to them if need be, and due to weather forecasts for driving.  I'm keeping my eye on the weather forecasts  for the higher elevations - I'm not experienced in snow/ice driving so I'm a bit fearful of that, even though I'll be traveling a major interstate highway that is heavily traveled.  Now, to determine the precise day/time to go.  It could be as early as 2:00 or 3:00 Sunday morning, or a day or days later.  I need to pack and decide what to take that I can or will work on during those times of just sitting and waiting or keeping my mom company in the hospital.  She will likely remain in the hospital for another week according to the doctor and if things don't improve in that time, possibly yet another surgery.

There's much to arrange before I go, so I think I'm off to la-la land for a good night's sleep. 

1 comment:

  1. Praying for you as you travel... and continuing to life both ends of your family. And especially praying for your mom. :)


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...