Monday, September 2, 2013

Tonight's Dinner

Last night I took out a package of pork country ribs thinking I'd do BBQ ribs in the crockpot.  I'm clearly not thinking well these days, because by morning with those puppies in the fridge all night, they weren't much more thawed than had I taken them straight out of the freezer.

And then it was mid-afternoon and I'm thinking, what am I going to fix for dinner?  Dinner planning can be such a chore some times. 

I thought about burgers, grilled in a pan rather than on the outdoor grill - they were frozen too, but at least can be cooked from frozen, but I had no buns.  What to do, what to do?  Make a grilled cheese hamburger!!  I had our favorite cracked wheat sourdough bread (San Luis Bakeries) and lots of sliced cheese.  Yum.

Grilled Cheese Hamburger :)
But a hamburger didn't seem like enough, so I threw together a pot of beef soup too.  I sauteed some onion, celery, and carrot in a little bit of olive oil, added three cans of beef broth and the liquid from the can of roast beef (from Costco), brought it to a boil and added some farfalline pasta and when it was cooked, added the roast beef and a cup of frozen roasted corn.  I rarely add salt while I'm cooking, so at the table sprinkled on some Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning - love that stuff - to my individual bowl. 


"Pantry" Beef Soup
The picture is of the leftovers.  It'll be great for lunch tomorrow...especially now that I have to take lunches into account with Marty still unemployed. I made four Grilled Cheese Hamburgers thinking Nick would eat two, he's a growing teenage boy you know, but he'd eaten lunch late and wasn't that hungry.  He also didn't try the soup, so Marty and I can split the 'burger and have a bowl of soup for lunch tomorrow.  And if those pork ribs thaw, they'll end up in the crockpot with BBQ sauce for tomorrow's dinner :)

And to put a cap on the day, in cleaning the kitchen, the trash bag needed to be taken out and on my way I saw what remained of what must have been a very nice sunset.  For some reason this turned out very dark, but that streak of color was quite vivid, and to top that off, there was a bat flying around.  I can't tell you how long it's been since I've noticed a bat around here, but the humidity has been up and hanging around for the last couple of weeks, so I'm sure Mr(?) Bat was finding lots of dinner too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...