Sunday, May 6, 2012

Stash Report Week 19, 2012

edit: Well, I typed and posted this yesterday (Sunday), but forgot to link it at Judy's so that's what I'm doing now, and ...

I'm guessing that since you found your way here, it was through Judy Laquidara's blog so you already know about what other bloggers have posted, but I'll still link back to her Sunday Stash Report anyway ;)

Used this Week: 0 yards
Used year to Date: 0 yards
Added this Week: 33.3 yards
Added Year to Date: 35.3 yards
Net Used for 2012: -35.3 yards

Earlier in the week I had received an email from our Guild president letting us know that the guild had been contacted by a lady whose elderly aunt, a quilter, had suffered a stroke and the family was selling off all of her sewing room supplies and fabric at a yard sale on Saturday. So I got myself up early for a Saturday...the yard sale was to start at 7:00 a.m. and was all the way on the other side of town. And of course, I got lost because I'd only quickly made notes of where to go from Mapquest, and wouldn't you know, the one street that I thought I was supposed to make a left on, also continued straight from the one street I was on.

It's like Main street goes so far and becomes Back street, but at the point it becomes Back street there's also a left turn and that is also Back street. We have one area where two roads intersect: up to the intersection, one street is North street, the street opposite is South street, the street to the right is East street and the street to the left is West street, but after a few blocks, West street is Further West street - all names are fictitious, and you can supply your own names if you want, but the point is that the street names are not continuous in too many places. I think it's because way back when in history, this large valley had several small communities and as suburbs grew and united becoming one large sprawling city, they've kept the original street names before roads actually connected. When Marty & I were first married and I moved out here, it took me several years to figure out the streets...some of them even have the same name but in one area they run North-South and then turn and run East-West and practically cross over themselves - very confusing. During those first couple years, I was still working and that was 20+ miles away so most things I did were still in that area and I had no reason to go anywhere out here.

Anyway, I digress...after I finally found the yard sale..and a place to park, I browsed the many tables of fabric. There were also boxes of scraps, books and other odds and ends. So, I loaded my arms with 2 books, and a healthy stack of fabrics and was poking through one of the scrap boxes and was chatting with the seller and she decided I could have the whole box of scraps for $3 !!! My total purchases came to $13.00 . I sorted through the fabrics at home, pulled out any non-cottons, fire-tested every piece and roughly tallied each piece's measurements. Of actual yardage (full-width) I had 13.5 yards.. Of smaller pieces and anything not full-width was...are you ready?... an equivalent to 19.8 yards for a combined total of 33.3 yards...all for $11 (the books were $1 each)! At today's fabric prices, that's like getting 32 yards for free. I realize not all are quilt-shop priced fabrics and I have no problem with that; when you make those scrappy quilts, and give them to someone that knows nothing about a quilt "it's just another machine-washable blanket" it doesn't really matter if it was from a high-priced place or a purported 'lesser quality' place. I'd rather my quilts be loved, used and worn out than stored forever in a chest for generations never seeing the light of day because "Lee" made it.



I have it all out on my freezer and a laundry bin as it all needs to laundered and pressed. I don't always press the larger pieces, but the small ones I will because I'll be cutting them up for scraps ala Bonnie Hunter.



Have a blessed Sunday, and happy quilting :)

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness, I do love a yard sale being held by a quilter! Glad you had some happy purchases ... I know you'll be glad when your home is restored to order after construction and you can put that fabric to good use!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...