Friday, September 7, 2012

Fina-Lee Friday

It's been a largely unexciting week, other than to say that Marty used his car to kiss the bumper of a car in front of him last week.  No damage to either, nor have we heard from the other party.  He was 'distracted' by something at the stop sign near our home.  And he didn't even tell me until the next day.

Nick is still getting rides to school from his friend Jay's mom.  She's been a great blessing to us during this time.  She's also been getting Nick home, however, I'm now having to arrange other means three days a week since Jay is going out for flag-football and that's just too boring for Nick to sit through, and too hot, to sit and try to do his homework in the car.  I'm sure he will be glad when Mom can drive again.  We have all days covered up through my next appointment on the 25th.

On Wednesday I had a huge burst of energy - amazing how that happened with the cast being removed!  But since I can't bear any weight on my foot - doctor's orders! - I had to be creative with how I went about doing some chores.  With two guys doing the chores for nearly 3 weeks, some things sorely needed a woman's touch.  I cleared the frig of all science projects (after having slimy lettuce placed in front of me one night - ewwww), cleaned up the remaining heads of Romaine, I scoured the sink with cleanser, washed the dishes that were there after running the dishwasher empty (we only use it as a drying rack as it no longer cleans dishes, and still gets a bit grody so I run it once it in awhile).  I took a shower! That's a big deal, especially knowing I was home alone and had to be extra cautious getting into and out of the shower coordinating crutch and shower stool. I crawled back upstairs to gather the laundry.  How does one do that on crutches?  One grabs a pillowcase and shoves all the dirty clothes into it, grabs as much edge as possible while still grabbing the crutch and leans against the railing to pick it up and toss it over so that it lands at the bottom of the stairs, where once I was back down there, I could use my pseudo-wheelchair and get it to the garage.  Then toss it out there and use the crutches to get to the chair at the machine - sort and wash.  The chair comes in handy not only for sitting but to stand on good foot while putting knee/shin on chair to be 'normal' height.  By the end of the day, I'd accomplished getting about 5 loads of laundry washed, dried, hung, folded - but had to wait for Nick to get home to get it upstairs to the closets.  The folded stuff is still on the dining room table.  I went through our receipt box and wrote checks for any bills that hadn't yet been taken care of.  I talked on the phone. I watched TV. I played fetch with Raven. I made mental notes of so many things that are falling behind.  I fixed my lunch.  By the end of the day, I was pleasingly exhausted.

Thursday told me I'd overdone it on Wednesday.  Aside from a couple trips to the potty, I stayed in bed until 11:00...I was physically so very tired.  Breakfast and lunch weren't had until I got myself downstairs around 1:30.   Funny thing, the guys haven't done much any 'housework' since I did all that I did on Wednesday - hmmm, maybe that was a bad idea on my part!  

Today, I clearly noticed how my right calf muscle is atrophying.  And it'll be another two and a half weeks (or more?) before I can start using my foot & bearing weight on it, guess that right calf will get even smaller :(

Awhile back, when I was still able-bodied, I'd looked out the back and saw this 'lump' out on the fence.  Took my camera and edged my way close to it, zoomed in, and here's what was there...a baby robin!  It didn't seem to be too afraid, yet I worried about stray cats that occasionally show up, especially from the hind side of the fence!

Great-grandmother's tea set
Nick, Aunt Ellen, Lee
From my trip back in June, and my visit to my Aunt Ellen at the retirement community where she lives, and where she gave us a tour and showed us this little tea-set.  It apparently belonged to my great-grandmother. The residents have opportunity to display some of their treasures in a secure glassed-in display area for all to see; the theme changes each month.  I thought that was pretty nifty.


  1. Lee, what a lovely photo of you and family! Seriously -- you ought to crop the pic of you and use it on your blog!! That tea set is a darling one -- how precious a family treasure! It's a pretty blue, too. Glad to hear that you're making some happy progress...I know you were starting to go a little stir crazy!! It's amazing to me how fast our muscles atrophy without use. My right calf was just starting to get back to normal when I had the surgery. I'm not sure it will ever be the same, now! LOL! Of course, continuing to lose weight should help. But, a year after surgery, you can definitely still see a difference. I'm working on it! I hope you have a restful and lovely weekend!! Hugs!!! :)

  2. Glad to hear you are improving. Your description of doing laundry sounds like quite an "event"!



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...