Thursday, December 13, 2018

Almost Signing

After the last couple weeks of going back and forth with questions and answers on the kitchen remodel proposal, it's likely we'll be signing the contract on Saturday morning. I look forward to the kitchen being done; I do not look forward to the process, the payments (ouch!!), nor the shopping for all appliances except a microwave, choosing tile for the walls and the floor, choosing countertop material/style, and of course I never look forward to yet another layer of dust. It will be so very nice to have a real, full-size oven again though.

Our current fridge is about 17 years old - leaks water, ice-maker quit years ago. Dishwasher is about the same and is used more as a drying rack than to wash. There is no oven, and the current range-top will be gone - I think it was original to the house in 1966, same with the sink;, garbage disposal works but is old and they recommend it be replaced. 

We're adding a 5' sliding door where currently is an 8' window. [To get to the patio where the grill is, you have to go down the hall and through the den/library - wonder who thought that was a good design?] We're adding an entire bank of cabinets - upper & lower with counter top, to a wall in the dining area - it will be all one undivided room for the kitchen & dining. The kitchen area proper, would still have only a small amount of cabinets, thus the additional. Cabinetry is probably the highest individual expense of the project. Current floor tile has to be replaced because the peninsula will be gone as the kitchen becomes a galley-style layout. 

Once our contract is signed and the deposit is made, he will begin building the cabinetry in January. When that is built, and only after we have purchased and had delivered all the appliances and other components, will he do the demolition, after which everything will be reconstructed and put in place. 

A big project, a big price tag, big fears...has anyone else gone through this? No DIY abilities here and we've only remodeled bathrooms before. When I was in my late 20's, my first husband & I did some remodeling to our kitchen, but he was able/capable and we both were young, energetic and had the strength to do the work ourselves. I think my biggest fear is that we'll go to this expense, and I won't like it, or we'll move and not have enough time to enjoy it. Well, I shant focus on the negatives of my fears...we've put this off too long already, it will be done, it will cost a lot, and we will be content. And I'm going to be very, very busy for the next few months.

Keeping Christmas decorations to a minimum this year!

Blessings to anyone still reading my ramblings :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...