Sunday, February 14, 2010

Scanning Negatives

For the last several days I've been scanning decades-old film negatives to my computer using my all-in-one printer. Most of these photos are from my childhood in the 1950s and 1960s. The black and white images have turned out pretty well using the tools available on the computer from the printer. The color images are a bit more difficult as the film has aged, and color was a relatively new element and not very stable, or so it seems. One of the most frustrating issues is that the scanner will only accommodate 35mm negatives or 35 mm slide film taken out of the cardboard or plastic frames. Most of the film I want to scan is approximately 4.1 cm x 6.5 cm or 5.7 cm squared. I don't know yet how I'll get those scanned. I searched some on the internet to see if special film scanners for those sizes were available but didn't find much. I may have to check with photographic suppliers....and that may be prohibitive to the budget!

Aside from the technical issues, I've enjoyed viewing these old photos which bring back the childhood memories of Christmases, life on the ranch, siblings and other family, and the many houses we lived in during those years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...